Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Three inspirational authors

In my journey towards realistic modeling in three-rail O scale I have found three books to be very helpful.

First, Lou Sassi (a former member of the NMRA Division I belong to) has written many books for Kalmbach including two on "How to Build and Detail Model Railroad Scenes". These are fantastic for breaking down industries, houses or other subjects into small, manageable parts. I am constantly drawn to his wonderful pictures.



Second, Dennis Brennan wrote "Realistic Modeling for Toy Trains" about building an urban themed O scale layout. Ironically, I purchased this book from him and asked him to autograph in 2010. It only took me 14 years to get started on my own layout! He covers weathering, structure kitbashing, and urban decay modeling in a realistic manner and in my opinion few seem to do this well. Usually, the results are over the top or otherwise unrealistic. It is a great book.


Finally, one book jam-packed with lots of New England themed railroad projects is "Model Railroading with George Dutka". He has written numerous articles for railroad magazines and maintains several blogs that I follow. I have already used it for inspiration for several projects of my own in different scales. His book focused mostly on modifying and personalizing structures and rolling stock, and each of his projects is small enough as to not become overwhelming. My new layout will draw upon his ideas a lot in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment